- deadline for the winter semester: June 01 – August 31
- deadline for the summer semester: December 01 – February 28
- Link to the application process
*The admissions committee is charged with assuring that each successful applicant meets the requirements for admission to the program. Therefore, before you send in an application, we kindly request that you ask yourself whether any of the statements below apply to you*
- You do not have a Bachelor’s degree in formal, theoretical linguistics that is equivalent to the Bachelor’s degree of linguistics at Goethe University.
- You have not taken at least one introductory and one advanced class in each of the following areas:
- formal phonetics and/or phonology
- formal syntax
- formal semantics
- You cannot provide proof of your English skills in one of the following ways:
- a bachelor’s degree with English as the instruction language
- a standardized test completed no more than 2 years prior to the time of application – the following certifications are recognized:
- TOEFL (Internet: score of at least 85)
- IELTS (at least 6 in each section)
- Cambridge First, Advanced or Proficient (at least ‘good’ in each section)
If you are sure that none of these statements apply to you, then we would be very happy to receive an application from you!
However, if one or more of these statements apply to you (or you cannot support your achievements through official documents), then please do not submit an application to our program, because the admissions committee will not be able to approve your application! There are many Masters programs in linguistics. If ours is not the right one for you, then we encourage you to apply for admission elsewhere. We wish you good luck in your endeavors!